HD25A Absolute Industrial Rugged Metal Optical Encoder
- NEMA size 25 package
- Anodized milled aluminum housing with O-ring housing seal
- 3/8 in. diameter shaft
- Up to 15 devices on a single 6-pin telephone-type cable
- 12-bit resolution
- 7 milliseconds update time
- EEPROM stores downloadable parameters
- Field programmable resolution (2 to 4,096 CPR)
- Remotely updatable firmware
See more info below
Configure the HD25A
HD25A Product Description
The HD25A is a NEMA 25 sized absolute encoder designed for industrial applications. The HD25A optical encoder is a 12-bit absolute rotary position sensor, which reports a shaft angle within a single 360 degree rotation of a shaft. Unlike incremental, sometimes called relative style encoders, the HD25A provides true (absolute) shaft position, eliminating the need for a home or zero cycle after a supply voltage power cycle. The HD25A communicates over a RS 485-style serial bus utilizing US Digital's SEI (Serial Encoder Interface) which allows for simple, quick and convenient networking of multiple SEI devices on a single network. PLCs, motion controllers and computers can also reside on the SEI bus as well by use of US Digital's SEI to USB interface device. For complete information about the SEI bus please refer to the SEI Communications Protocol webpage.
The HD25A also provides analog output. The analog output provides a maximum voltage range of 0 to 4.095 volts with 12-bit resolution. The output voltage can be scaled by simple SEI commands to provide user defined voltage ranges. From the factory, the analog output voltage is set to 0 to 3.599 VDC range. Please note that with the HD25A analog output option only one device may reside on a SEI bus.
View here or download the specifications
|Operating Temperature||-25C to 70C||C|
|Vibration (5 to 2kHz)||20||G|
|Shock, 11 mSec||60||G|
|Electrostatic Discharge, IEC 61000-4-2||± 4||kV|
|Housing and Cover Material||Anodized aluminum|
|Shaft Material||Stainless steel|
|Shaft Diameter||0.3748 in. (+0.0000 in. -0.0004 in.)|
|Shaft Optional Flat Size||0.80 in. long x 0.03 in. deep|
|Max. Acceleration||100000 rev / sec²|
|Max. Shaft Speed
|Max. Shaft Torque
< 0.5 in-oz
3.5 in-oz typical
|Max. Shaft Load
|Max. Shaft Runout||0.0003 in. T.I.R.|
|Bearing Life @ 4 Pound Load||2.3 x 10^9 revolutions|
|Moment of Inertia||2.8 x 10 ^-4 oz-in-sec²|
|Technical Bulletin TB1001 - Shaft and Bore Tolerances||Download|
- Specifications apply over entire operating temperature range.
- Typical values are specified at Vcc = 12V and 25C.
|Analog Output Impedance||51||Ohms|
|Zero Scale Analog Voltage||0||2||12||mV|
|Full Scale Analog Voltage||4.066||4.095||4.124||V|
|Output Noise (Analog version)||10||mV rms|
|Absolute Accuracy (SEI interface version)||0.18||0.25||Degrees|
|Angle tracking speed
|Position Update Rate (1)||7||msec.|
(1) The internal microcontroller takes a snapshot of the disk every 7 msec. and stores the position in memory. It responds immediately to a "report position request" by sending the most recently computed position.
|Parameter|| Default value||Volatile?|
| SEI address
| Origin offset
| Baud rate
(1) Mode is always restored from non-volatile EEPROM on power-up; however, there are separate SEI commands for setting the RAM copy only, or both the RAM copy and the non-volatile EEPROM copy. For an explanation of the Mode bits see SEI Absolute Encoder Communications Protocol.
In addition to the SEI interface, the HD25A also provides a 0 to 4.095 V analog output (1 mV per count). The absolute position value which the internal microcontroller sends to the 12-bit DAC is the same as the digital value that it sends to the host over SEI. Since the resolution (which represents the number of codes per revolution) is field programmable, the range of the DAC will also follow that setup. The default resolution is 3600 codes per revolution which yields 1 count per tenth of a degree. This makes the DAC output equal to 1 mV per tenth of a degree or 0 to 3.599 Volts. When the DAC needs to have the full range to 4.095 Volts, the single turn resolution should be set to 4096. This is easily done with the available software which runs on a PC.
Product Change Notifications
|A2/HD25A Product Lines Detector Upgrade||8/18/2014||As part of our ongoing continuous improvement efforts, US Digital is updating our A2 and HD25A product lines design by utilizing surface mount devices for the detector and LED. Previously these were through hole devices. This change is transparent with the exception of minor cosmetic differences for the A2 kit style encoder, and Spacer Tool used in kit assembly process.||Download|
- Cables and connectors are not included and must be ordered separately.
- US Digital® warrants its products against defects in materials and workmanship for two years. See complete warranty for details.
GUIDES AND ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION
3D Model Downloads
Please configure your product first to download a 3D model.
(Note: The formats below will become links if there are 3D models available.)
- SolidWorks format
- IGES format
- Parasolid format
- STEP format
Related Products & Accessories
The following are related products for the HD25A
US Digital's mission is a commitment to quality and constant improvement. If you find an error to a product on this page, please let us know!