E16 Micro Optical Kit Encoder
E16 Product Description
The E16 16mm micro optical encoder is designed to provide A, B and Index digital quadrature signals for high volume, restricted space applications. The E16 utilizes an innovative, push-on encoder disk which accepts shaft diameters of 1.5mm and 2mm.
The E16 is designed to be a one-time installation micro optical encoder, the base provides mounting holes for two M1.6-0.35, length 3mm screws on a 10mm bolt circle. The encoder cover is easily snapped onto the base and is marked with the connector pin-out.
The E16 series encoder is connected using a 5-conductor, polarized, 0.8mm pitch connector (Hirose part number DF52-5P-0.8C). Mating cable (see the Cables web page) is not included and is available separately.
Please Note: Due to the E16's design, it is recommended for use as a one-time installation.
View here or download the specifications
|Operating Temperature||-40 to 100||C|
|Electrostatic Discharge, IEC 61000-4-2||±12||kV|
|Shock, 6 millisecond, half-sine||75||G|
|Vibration (20Hz to 2kHz, sinusoidal)||20||G|
|Max. Shaft Axial Play||±0.010||in.|
|Max. Shaft Runout||0.002 T.I.R.||in.|
|Maximum RPM, CPR = 250/500/1000/2000||48000||RPM|
|Maximum RPM, CPR = 256/512/1024/2048||46875||RPM|
|Maximum RPM, CPR = 4000||27750||RPM|
|Maximum RPM, CPR = 4096||27099||RPM|
|Codewheel Moment of Inertia||2.8 x 10-7||oz-in-s²|
|Mounting Screw Size
Default (D-option base)
M1.6 x 3
|Screw Bolt Circle Diameter||10 ±0.13||mm|
|Minimum Shaft Length (1)||6||mm|
|Maximum Shaft Length (1)||7.75||mm|
|Mounting Screw Torque||1-2||in-lbs|
|Technical Bulletin TB1001 - Shaft and Bore Tolerances||Download|
(1) Including axial play.
|Supply Current||18||26||mA||no load|
|Low-level Output||0.4||V||IOL= 4 mA, Vcc = 5V|
|High-level Output||4.7||V||IOH= 4 mA, Vcc = 5V|
|Output Rise Time||80||135||ns||no load|
|Output Fall Time||80||135||ns||no load|
|Maximum Output Frequency
- Specifications apply over entire operating temperature range.
- Values are for the worst error over full rotation.
- Refer to timing diagram below.
|Index Pulse Width||Po||60||90||120||°e|
|Ch. I Rise After Ch. B or Ch. A Fall||t1||10||ns|
|Ch. I Fall After Ch. B or Ch. A Rise||t2||10||ns|
- The number of Cycles (C) of the A or B outputs Per Revolution.
- Index (I)
- The index output goes high once per revolution, coincident with the low states of channels A and B, nominally 1/4 of one cycle (90°e).
- One Shaft Rotation
- 360 mechanical degrees.
- One Electrical Degree (°e)
- 1/360th of one cycle.
- One Cycle (C)
- 360 electrical degrees (°e). Each cycle can be decoded into 1, 2, or 4 states, referred to as x1, x2, or x4 resolution multiplication.
- The number of resolvable Positions Per Revolution of the encoder disk with x4 quadrature decoding.
- Quadrature (Z)
- The phase lag or lead between channels A and B in electrical degrees, nominally 90°e.
- A measure of the relationship between (X) and (Y) in electrical degrees, nominally 180°e.
1. Centering Tool*
- Part #: CTOOL-E16-(Shaft Diameter)
- Description: This reusable tool is used to accurately center the E16 base on the shaft.
2. Spacer Tool*
- Part #: SPACER-E16
- Description: This reusable tool is used to properly space the codewheel from the encoder.
*Both the CTOOL and SPACER-E16 tools are included with all packaging options.
- Part #: SCREW-M16-3MM-PH
Description: Pan Head, Philips M1.6-0.35, length 3mm.
Use: Base Mounting
Quantity Required: 2
Screws are included
3D Model Downloads
Please configure your product first to download a 3D model.
(Note: The formats below will become links if there are 3D models available.)
- SolidWorks format
- IGES format
- Parasolid format
- STEP format
Related Products & Accessories
The following are related products for the E16
US Digital's mission is a commitment to quality and constant improvement. If you find an error to a product on this page, please let us know!